You must be aware of the oldest unethical trick of odometer rollback in used cars in India. This is probably the single most important thing to check before buying a used car for you. To resolve this issue, all the car manufacturers have already switched to digital odometer, but it helped the scammers instead. If you have any friend who works in any car service center, you may be knowing how easy it is to manipulate the readings of a digital odometer. It takes just Rs. 1500 and half an hour to get it done, which is now harder to detect also.
Some used car dealers sell a used car which has crossed mileage of over 1 lac KMs by reducing its odometer reading to just 16000 KMs. The poor buyer, who got cheated, will come to know about this only after 2-3 days of making payment and getting delivery of the car. Getting help from police is the only option left with the buyer which will further add the purchase price of the car.
What exactly is the odometer fraud?
Any alterations in the reading of the odometer (analog or digital) by any means is called as odometer fraud. Used car sellers do so to make the car look like new and sparingly used. This makes the buyer to pay more for nothing extra.
How is it performed?
All the cars with the digital odometers have circuit board with a chip which stores the reading of the odometer. Either this chip itself is replaced with the new chip with desired reading or the original chip is rewritten with the help of OBD2 readers by connecting to the car OBD2 port.
Then, How to identify it?
Unfortunately, there is no single way to identify this fraud. You need to find it by using your common sense or experienced mechanic. However, here is a list of the points which can be noticed to detect odometer tampering.
- If possible, connect OBD2 reader in the port and get the data. Most of the cars store mileage reading independent of the odometer reading.
- Try to locate the service and maintenance history records of the car from any authorized service center and compare the KMs of last service with the current reading in the odometer.
- If the car has very low mileage as compared to the age of the car, be suspicious and watch for any clue using stickers on windshield, doors etc.
- Check the tires carefully. Generally new set of tires last up to 40k to 50k KMs. If the car has odometer reading of 13k and the owner has replaced the original tires, it has certainly got the odometer rolled back.
- Look for wear and tear of the components of the car such as brake and accelerator pedal, steering wheel, gear knob. You will get the idea of the age the car.
- Know your previous owner and his driving habits. Also, check if it is used as a taxi.
Moral of the story: If you feel anything suspicious, just walk away.
You must have already heard the news of a recent used car scam in Kerala. This shows how difficult it is to buy a used car even from a friend. Used car sellers use a good amount of innovation, research and technology to make fool and then loot the buyer. Later, Buyer suffers a lot if there is some issue in the car after completing the payment. He become helpless and nothing can be done to get the money back.
Analysis of the event
One person in Kerala purchased a brand new maruti baleno and modified it to look like Mercedes A Class car. Later he planned a conspiracy to sell it to his own friend. His friend came to know about this scam only after he went to Mercedes service center. After getting panicked a lot, he filed a FIR against the seller (his friend) and then police ceased the car from him and return the car to seller and money to the buyer. First person again sold it to another person and then that buyer sold it to third person. After this, when police came to know about all these transactions, they again ceased the car and kept it with them self. Finally, Last person, who had purchased the car, had to suffer the loss as he could neither get the car nor the money back.
This event could have been avoided
Buying used cars, in this era, from unreliable sources attracts a very high risk to your hard earned money. You need to buy only form trusted source who can provide you some guarantee and so peace of mind. Now, you may be thinking of Maruti true value or Mahindra first choice as the next best option. They have their own big disadvantages which can be read from this article.
There is a beautiful solution of this problem and has been brought out by CarSangrah for buyers of the used cars online. CarSangrah has found an innovative way to eliminate used car scams in India. Used car buyers are requested to contact the seller and ask him/her to post the used cars details at CarSangrah. If seller is hesitating or making some lame excuses, just get rid of him and don’t purchase that car. Because, he might be hiding some issues in the car which can be brought out later. While buying used cars online, buyer has an option of getting his money back within 5 days, if he is not interested. This has become possible as the seller is not paid immediately, buyer makes payment to CarSangrah which is kept on hold for 5 days and then paid to seller if buyer is 100% satisfied. This makes the sellers of the used cars less interested in posting the used cars at CarSangrah. Only sellers, who are confident that all the used car details provided online are genuine, post it for sale at CarSangrah.
Now, you need not try your luck and get caught in the big scam while buying used cars online. So, share this article with your friends and family and make aware everyone about this technique of second hand cars in Delhi & NCR and Chennai.
If you are planning to purchase a second hand car for you. You may have to spare a lot of time to find a suitable used car within your budget. It is cumbersome process. What scares more to you is what if car is found to be lemon after making complete payment. You are forced to rely on the dealer. But most of the dealers are always searching for maximum price of any car. There will be no after sale service like in new cars. This is why people fear in buying used cars in India. However things are changing now. With the help of technology, now it is possible to make seller of the car responsible if he is trying to hide some critical problem associated with the car. Still, Here are some points which a buyer need to keep in mind before buying used cars online.
1. Find suitable car form various sources: Depending upon your criteria (budget, make, fuel etc), you can find your car from offline sources such as local dealers or online such as olx, carwale or carsangrah etc. Then approach the seller to buy the car.
2. Find Valuation of the Car: There are various platforms to find valuation of used cars. But it is best practice to check price of the car at reliable source only such as Used Car Valuation.
3. Ask questions from the seller: Seller may be from any source, there is always a possibility of being cheated. So it is better to be sure than to regret later. You can insist to post that car details for sale at CarSangrah. He will try to avoid and make excuses not to post at CarSangrah.com as CarSangrah does not allow a faulty car to be posted. Even if it is posted with false details, seller will be held responsible and car will be returned to seller. Buyer will get his full money back.
4. Make payment online: In the era of digital technology, you can now imagine to make payment online and get your car delivered online free of cost just like you purchase a mobile or camera form flipkart.
5. Rigorous checking and Test Drive: After receiving the car at your doorstep, you check all the documents of the car carefully. Then have a good amount of test drive and get the car checked by your reliable mechanic or friends. If you are 100% satisfied with the car, just inform to carsangrah within 5 days and then your money will be transferred to seller account. So you get enough time to see the car unlike 5 or 10 minutes in conventional test drive.